This Society has
been in existence for 76 years, when enthusiasts met in March
1936, in the Magistrates Room of the Pavilion annex, to discuss
its formation. The very first show was held on 11th
November 1936 in the Pavilion in Waterloo Square. In the
first schedule issued for that show, it was stipulated that
those entering the cookery section should produce a 3lb Fruit
Cake for less than 2s 6d!
Sir Richard Gregory was President
and there were 43 Vice Presidents! amongst these were Mr
Billy Butlin, Mr Reynolds (of the High Street) and Mr E Bryant
(who now has a school named after him).
The first show was judged by Mr
Peacock and Mr Capon - possibly members of the caged Bird
Society, who at one time had considered putting on a joint show
1948. after the demise of the Pavilion, the venue moved to the
Rex Ballroom on the sea front, but the strong south-westerly
winds could decimate delicate Chrysanthemums before they even
got through the door.
St John's Church Hall in London Road
was next and then we moved to the United Reform Church in Linden
Road, before going to the Church hall in Bersted Street.
In March 2002 we moved to the Jubilee Hall in the Community
Centre at North Bersted, Bognor Regis.